Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The oddball in me

Recently, Maanu, at the behest of her friend Shruthi, listed weird facts about herself on her blog. That got me thinking about the weird side of me. The outcome was something which would have given Sigmund Freud a field day at psychoanalysis. So, I present the bizarre me without further ado. I am not sure, how long this list will be, but I will try to keep it short with a disclaimer that this list is just a glimpse and is neither extensive nor exhaustive, and that there is more to me than meets the eye. I also vouch to the best of my knowledge that none of this is made up.


The Sneak Peek

1. The superstition - When I wake up, the first thing I do is to look at my hands. There is a shloka in Sanskrit, which says that God exists in our hands. The second thing I do is to look at myself in the mirror. This is so that I do not give credit to or curse someone else other than me if my day goes good or bad, especially the latter.
2. Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde – People usually perceive me as chirpy, energetic and ever-smiling. At the other extreme, people also perceive me worried, lost and sad. So, which person have you met?
3. The Memento – With some things, my memory can be almost photographic. I can recall each and every detail accurately for years on end. While with other things (my college subjects belong to this category) I have a short term memory loss which seems to be incurable.
4. While you were sleeping – My most creative and wonderful thoughts come to me when I am half asleep; from the time my head hits the pillow to the time my sleep reaches the REM phase. I always have a book and pen handy to jot down these thoughts.
5. Shall we dance? – is not a question you will hear me asking. I have two left feet which are cemented to the ground. Although, I have been told that I do shake a leg when I down a couple of drinks, but then, I would not believe in hearsay.


The Spook Peek

6. In Gulliver’s shoes - For a long while now, whenever I close my eyes, even for a moment, I get this shrinking feeling, and I can see a dwarfed image of myself in a gigantic setting. Initially, it used to scare the hell out of me, but now, I have got used to it.
7. Multi-legged freaks - When I open my eyes after a sleeping spell, I see multicolored multi-legged creatures of varied sizes disappearing into the nooks of the roof.
8. Requiem for a dream – If I were to make a living selling my dreams, I would have given Stephen King and the ilk a run for their money. My dreams are bizarre, horrific, and a complete scare fest. From psychopaths, to zombies to you name it – they are all a part of my dreams.
9. Death and Me – I do not care about death, nor am I scared. I do not wish for it, nor do I wish to run away from it.

The Revelation

10. The good girl - And finally, one weird fact about me, which has stumped even the closest of my friends – I am a nice person, by choice. I have been anointed a saint and labeled a walkover and few other unprintable monikers. But that’s me. And all those non-believers and naysayers, either you have not met me or you don’t know me. :-) I can almost see the pop-psychologists rubbing their hands in glee.

P.S. I thought of including my surname, “the bane” as one of the weird facts, but I was worried that my parents may sue me for libel. That reminds me, one more weird thing about me... oh well, never mind, I promised to keep the list short.

8 comments:

Kunal said...

Weird side of me? Weird SIDE of me???? Which side of you isn't?

Maanasi said...

Nice girl by choice eh....? why?? why? nahin!!!..such things you must NOT do. being evil is fun..look how much fun Dracula had.He was evil.
All said and done..nice list :)


P.S. ponder on the Dracula thing.

Wanderlust said...

@Kunal, you have not been introduced to all my identities :-)

@Maanu, pondered, sharpening my incisors right now, will thou be my first victim eh? :-)

theanalogkid said...

nice..

#1 - i think i know this shloka. mom taught me when i was 5 yrs old. does it go like 'karakre vasadhe lakshmi' blah blah? remember only that :)

#2 - must say i saw both in a very short span of time ;) dunno how much u remember though

Wanderlust said...

@bharani, not bad, u remember the shloka - the complete shloka goes like this - karagre varthate lakshmi, kara madhya saraswati, kara mule stitha gauri, prabhate kara darshanam.

As for point number 2, of course I remember that I went from chirpy to weepy in a matter of a few drinks :-D

Shruthi said...

lol@ your dreams. Psychopaths and all eh? I get sacred even if I get a dog in my dream. Not grimm kinda dog. Any nice friendly dog I get in my dream tend to bite my hand :( I dunno why. You are brave.

Even I recite that shloka as soon as I wake up.. though I don’t look at my face ;)

And I think its vasathe. “karakre vasathe lakshmi”.

Wanderlust said...

@Shruthi - See, one more weird fact about you - dog bites hand in dream :-D Trust me, my dreams are scary, not a laughing matter at all!

I remember my text book having it has vartate, quite possible it is vasathe :-)

Ushasi said...

You're a weirdo. :) Enjoyed the post a lot.